Apple announced on Monday that Plácido Domingo will be the closing act for iTunes Festival London. Apple’s choice of Domingo to close out the festival shows the true diversity of iTunes Festival with headliners ranging from Rock, Electronic, and Opera/Classical.
Plácido Domingo is one of the world’s all-time greatest tenors. Many people may remember Domingo as one of The Three Tenors with José Carreras and Luciano Pavarotti that took the world by storm in 1990, performing at the FIFA World Cup Final. Subsequent concerts from the three are considered by some to be among the best musical performances ever.
On his own, Domingo has had a long and storied career. With his first professional appearance in 1957, the 73 year old tenor had sung 144 roles by the end of 2013.
“For many reasons, I am thrilled to be the final performer at this year’s iTunes Festival seen all over the world: thrilled to be following Katy Perry who was last year’s closing performer; thrilled to be able to perform with other excellent singers; and, above all, thrilled for the recognition that this brings to the unique and magnificent world of opera and of classical music,” said Plácido Domingo.
As much as I’m a rocker at heart, I’ve always been a big fan of Plácido Domingo and I can’t think of a better way to close out iTunes Festival London.
The current line-up for iTunes Festival London:
- September 1 deadmau5 + Friend Within + Kate Simko & London Electronic Orchestra
- September 2 Beck + Jenny Lewis
- September 3 David Guetta + Clean Bandit + Robin Schulz
- September 4 5 Seconds of Summer + Charlie Simpson
- September 5 Kasabian
- September 6 Tony Bennett + Imelda May
- September 7 Calvin Harris + Kiesza
- September 8 Robert Plant + Luke Sital-Singh
- September 9 Sam Smith + SOHN
- September 10 Pharrell Williams + Jungle
- September 11 Maroon 5 + Matthew Koma + Nick Gardner
- September 12 Elbow + Nick Mulvey
- September 13 Paolo Nutini + Rae Morris
- September 14 David Gray + Lisa Hannigan
- September 15 The Script + Foxes
- September 16 Blondie + Chrissie Hynde
- September 17 Gregory Porter + Eric Whitacre
- September 18 Jessie Ware + Little Dragon
- September 19 SBTRKT
- September 20 Rudimental + Jess Glynne
- September 21 Ryan Adams + First Aid Kit
- September 22 Jessie J + James Bay
- September 23 Placebo + The Mirror Trap
- September 24 Ben Howard + Hozier
- September 25 Mary J. Blige
- September 26 Lenny Kravitz + Wolf Alice
- September 27 Kylie + MNEK
- September 28 Nicola Benedetti + Miloš + Alison Balsom
- September 29 Ed Sheeran + Foy Vance
- September 30 Plácido Domingo
iTunes Festival London kicks off tonight. Fans in the UK can apply to win free tickets to watch a show in person at the Roundhouse in London. If you’re not in the area, you can still watch the free shows live, and on-demand, with iTunes on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or computer, or on your big screen with Apple TV.