I so love the iPhone and iPad lightning plug. Easy to plug in, even at night, done by feel. Rightside up, upside down, no matter. To me, it is absolutely perfect.
Taking a page from this book, the USB group announced that the next generation of USB plug will be smaller, scalable and, most importantly, reversible.
- An entirely new design tailored to work well with emerging product designs
- New smaller size – similar in size to the existing USB 2.0 Micro-B
- Usability enhancements – users will no longer need to be concerned with plug orientation/cable direction, making it easier to plug in
- The Type-C connector and cable will support scalable power charging
- Scalability – the connector design will scale for future USB bus performance
Huzzah! Here’s the press release with all the gory details.