Apple investigating death of a woman while charging iPhone 5

“We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter,” Apple said in an e-mail.



  • gjgustav

    There’s not enough current at the phone’s end to kill anyone. I think it was either a coincidence or a knockoff charger that wasn’t correctly setting the output current. Those knockoff chargers look just like Apple’s (right down to the green dot) but are very different on the inside.

    • Paul Sprangers

      I can confirm that. A friend of mine bought one from China and it exploded (the “jacket” stayed intact, but the innards popped out) the first time he put it in an outlet. Luckily his iPhone wasn’t connected, but the outlet was black and the charger in many pieces.

      Don’t buy Chinese knock-off stuff people.

  • paul

    Guess you guys got it all figured out, Apple can save money on the investigation and blame the knock off charger you guys know that the girl had.

    • http://mangochut.net/ mangochutney

      While I wouldn’t rule out a freak charger built by Apple, their chargers are USB-spec compliant, which means the maximum voltage they put out is 5V at 2.5 amps (for the strongest charger). This is nowhere near enough to harm a person.

      I’d have to concur with @gjgustav:disqus and @paulsprangers:disqus , she most likely used a knock-off charger that wasn’t properly wired or had a very bad defect.

      I’ve seen knock-off chargers fry Apple hardware before, it’s not uncommon.

  • http://www.johncblandii.com John C. Bland II

    Last week you posited “[If it were Apple, Apple is doomed articles is] what would happen if it was Apple.”

    Any follow-up on if this is occurring as a result of this?

    Disclaimer for the haters: No snark here. I’m truthfully asking if that expectation was met.

  • Jack

    This sounds like a freak accident. Obviously we’ll have to wait for the pending investigation but think about all the phones and all the chargers in the world, I’ve never heard of anyone being electrocuted.

  • tylernol

    I bet it was a knockoff charger.

  • http://mangochut.net/ mangochutney

    You people of course guessed it: The charger caused the incident, not the iPhone and the charger was—of course—a knock-off.